Monday, October 8, 2012

On the Case - Chapters 2 and 3

Chapters 2 and 3

First of all, I am really enjoying this book; I am discovering new ideas that relate to concepts of research and culture that I currently hold.  For instance, my cultural research with Veterans is complicating sometimes not only because I have a strong sense what being in the military means (for me), but also because I am dealing with other branches and different military occupational specialities (MOS) that all have a different cultural structure.

In the second chapter, Dyson and Genishi discuss the importance of observing an environment before you "discover" the meanings of the actions; Dyson and Genishi refer to this as "casing the joint".  While I certainly understand the importance of this process (casing the joint assists researchers with understanding their biases), I have a hard time casing or observing a culture that, even though I have been out of the Marine Corps for 6 years, my mind and cultural ideals are parallel with the Marine Corps Culture.  Although this type of understanding is an advantage in a research setting, my biases for "my" branch and "my" MOS will certainly create some obstacles for me to overcome. 

Dyson and Genishi provided me with assistance by providing an explanation of their challenges, "In order to learn about this site on its own terms, and to figure out what this place might teach me, I had to work to carefully attune myself to its rhythms.  In the beginning, this meant sketching maps, asking for official schedules (or copying those that were posted), jotting down organizational specifics of a breadth of language and literacy activities, and noting how children were arranged in the room..." (30).  In other words, the authors believe that facing your biases head on by remaining objective and understanding the value of learning something different from a particular setting. 

Ok, so I understand now that the rhythms of the environment I am researching are far more important than mine; my realization of this fact is what allows me to move on; however, I also need to know how I should approach my research in way that allows me to understand my subjective ideas before I observe my environment.In chapter 3, Dyson and Genishi discuss the design of "casing an environment".  They state the importance of understanding the context of the actions of a community: "Understanding that Madlenka's block is potentially a case of intergenerational learning or that Mrs. Kay's room is a case of children's 'having their say' depends on knowing both background and foreground" (43).  Here, the authors are explaining that the history and the implications of history are very important in each separate area that one is researching.

As a principle, because of this chapter, I will strive to set aside my understanding of a certain culture before I begin "casing the joint".  According to Dyson and Genishi, I must take on the role of the researcher, and I must continuously strive to understand why environment is important to me and why an environment is important to the culture I am researching: "We recognize that who we are outside our identities as university researchers influences the kinds of questions we ask and the kinds of collaborators and participants we select for our studies" (57-58).  

No comments:

Post a Comment