Monday, October 1, 2012

Blog #3 Mixed Methods Procedures



Mixed methods procedures involve four important aspects: timing, weighting, mixing and theorizing. Creswell discusses how proposal developers should consider the timing of their qualitative and quantitative data collection. Researchers will then need to decide whether the data will be collected sequentially (phases) or concurrently (simultaneous). Researchers who collect data in phases can collect either quantitative or qualitative first, while researchers who collect data concurrently gather quantitative and qualitative data at the same time.
If I was to use a mixed methods approach to my proposal, I would use the phase approach. I enjoy doing research like reading, one page or stage at a time. For example, my proposal includes interviewing people and asking questions about their identity. For each person, I would need to separate the interviews using a “phase-like” approach. I would collect data from each person and it would be difficult logistically to gather the data at the same time.

Weighting refers to how much of each type is used in your study. Creswell states that when designing procedures, researchers should assess the weight or priority given to quantitative or qualitative data used in the study. The two options weighted include two types of approaches: the inductive or deductive approaches. The inductive approach generates themes in qualitative while the deductive approach tests a theory.
My proposal on how individuals achieve identity would probably use a more inductive approach. My goal is to search for common themes while assessing a theory on how characters from novels carry traits from Marcia’s theory of identity. This process will help me weigh between both perspectives (qualitative and quantitative) in order to get my point across. For example, adolescent development is both a scientific and creative study, which bridges science and art. When I write my proposal I will weigh both sides in data collection.
           
 Mixing of the data is considered to be difficult, and Creswell asks how mixing occurs. The translating of data into a coherent research proposal is challenging when using numerous sources such as: text, images, quantitative data and numbers. The mixing can occur at any stage, as the researcher needs to acknowledge both aspects continuously. This is perhaps the most difficult stage for researchers.
My proposal will mix the data in stages, more like the phase approach discussed earlier. I will use interviews and text in an attempt to better understand how adolescents and even adults’ identities change or evolve over time. I will introduce the theory first and then let the literature take it from there, acknowledging the differences and similarities of each aspect.
      
      The final factor to consider is whether a larger, theoretical perspective guides the research (Creswell). The uses of explicit theories are often found in the beginning of the project. Explicit theories help guide the audience, or reader, in understanding the project. Creswell stipulates that explicit perspectives help the audience to form a “lens” and see through the researchers’ perspective.
My proposal will make use of Marcia’s theoretical lens when it comes to identity development. The four different perspectives include identity diffusion, foreclosure, moratorium, and achievement. I want my audience to understand the following literature in my project. The use of a lens will help them to share my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment