Monday, October 29, 2012

Chapter 6 Dyson and Genishi


The last chapter of On the Case discusses how a to make a case matter. The concept of a propositional generalization, (assertions about how a studied phenomenon was enacted in a case), makes me think of biases and how they can be associated to them. The main focus of my blog is how researchers “translate” phenomenon into a direct application of their case study. When people generalize they may incorporate their biases, especially those they are not aware of.
This chapter was particularly challenging to me because it was hard for me to visualize children’s classrooms. The few parts that I enjoyed reading had to do with translation (mentioned earlier), interpretative validity (reasonable assertions), and expanding ideas. I also got a chance to revisit earlier subjects to include AAVE (African American Vernacular English).
Interpretative validity involves making reasonable assertions about the data in case studies. I interpreted it this way, so correct me if I’m wrong. My theory of identity and how people establish it has the potential to define and account for every living person. The four stages, discussed in my research proposal, can be applied to people who are engaged in any type of emotional development. For example, Marcia proposes that identity development is based on two factors: crisis and commitment. Crisis is defined as self-exploration and commitment is how committed the person is to the identity. Researchers can interpret how much self-exploration is needed to fit into one of Marcia’s four profiles. However, different actions/statements from different subjects may or may not be reasonable. This is where bias can become a problem is there is no collaboration about the case.
My research proposal includes the expansion of Marcia’s theory and relating it to pretty much anything I want to do. Fictional literature characters and real people are described. I seek to take this theory and use it to increase understanding of the complex topic of development. I can also demonstrate that science and creative arts are not in competition with one another. Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment