Monday, September 17, 2012

Research Methods:  Chapters 5-7 (96-143)

The breakdown of these chapters is somewhat of a relief compared to Chapter 1.  It is much more focused, detailed, and instructive.  The overwhelming myriad of information is easier to follow and make sense out of. I found myself as I read along thinking of how I might structure my own research ideas into questions and explanations for my reader.  I also felt a little more at ease having the precise direction if during my research I should get stuck and need something to look on as an example.  

Chapter 5 was of particular importance, I believe.   The chapter provided information about the importance of an introduction.  The chapter went over how to use the introduction as the framework for the entire research project with information and examples from all three methods.  It discussed primarily the Deficiencies Model of an Introduction as a formula for the construction of an introduction.   It also discussed strategies to employ in the construction of the introduction including narrative hooks, staying from idiomatic expressions, and considering the impact of numeric information.  It also discussed how to address deficiencies in past literature and the significance of the study for an audience.   

I found this chapter to be probably the most instructive, without too much formula.  It gave all the building blocks and the strategies necessary to construct and introduction without intruding too much on the writer's voice.  

Chapters 6 and 7 focused on the purpose statement and the research questions/hypotheses. These two chapters were more self-explanatory, though it was helpful to have the scripts available to get an idea of what a crafted purpose statement and statement of research questions may look like.  The purpose statement should be an explanation of why the researcher wants to do the study and what the researcher wants to accomplish.  Chapter 6 provided how a purpose statement should look for the three research methods.  In Chapter 7, I mostly concentrated on the research questions for Qualitative data.  I'm much more familiar with quantitative research questions and how they are formed.   While I have done a case study, it really was my first and only real experience in qualitative research.  It also was a sink or swim approach, where we felt our way through it as we went.  It was a case study involving the first student I ever tutored in the writing center and our work together over the course of a quarter where we met each week.  I walked in with a tape recorder on day one without any other idea of what to do, or how to approach the research.  Which, I can see the merit in. However, it also left me without a way to construct something that way again, to have a sense of direction about how to approach it.  

When I read Caroline's response, I thought back to her mentioning the scripts and how it made her feel somewhat uncomfortable.  My thoughts at least, are the script is sort of the stripped down, you should be at least saying these things.  I don't think its a one size fits all approach.  I would think delineating from it in some respects would be normal, especially if you feel it's crushing your personal voice. 

Overall, I just find myself questioning how to take my broad topics ideas and trying to force that down into a concise research question at this point.  I just have a lot ideas and am trying to narrow things down in a sense to at least begin looking closer at my topics to decide which would be most appropriate to research and explore.


2 comments:

  1. I share your concern about narrowing down my broad ideas for topics. Every idea I have seems to be far too broad for a research project I can manage. Maybe we should get together one day and bounce ideas off each other to see if we can help each other find a manageable topic to research.

    ReplyDelete