Monday, September 17, 2012

My thoughts and questions on “The Introduction,” “The Purpose Statement,” and “Research Questions and Hypothesis”

The deficiencies model of an introduction was very clear and concise. I liked the format and understood the order of topics needed, but I wondered if there were other models of introductions that could be used? If so, I would like to know which ones would apply to qualitative or mixes methods proposals.

One thing in these chapters that I found both helpful and uncomfortable was the script. Although the scripts will be beneficial when beginning a section of my proposal, I think that I may sound a bit to generic or typical. Even after reading the examples, I feel like I might just be listing things while leaving out my voice. Is this common or can I try and delineate from what they have suggested?

In the introduction chapter, the author talks about a narrative hook and how it helps bring the reader into the proposal at a basic level and then gently lowers them into the heart of the writing. I agree with this strategy because, like the author suggests, it bridges the reader’s awareness of the topic to the writers in depth issues and concerns a little at a time. The research tips for designing opening paragraphs were also really enlightening and helpful; I think I will definitely take advantage of these when beginning my proposal. 

The literature for each research type was detailed and informative. However, should deficiencies be used for each type? I understand that discussing the problems in others research brings a stronger argument for my proposal, but what if there is limited research on a topic? What if there findings were legitimate and I didn’t find any deficiencies?

The differences between qualitative and quantitative research questions and hypothesis really made me think about my own research questions. I know that you want us to only do qualitative; but as I read through each one, I realized that I might lean towards a mixed methods approach. Qualitative seems suggestive and focuses on working with guidelines rather than truths, where as, quantitative develops a hypothesis and works toward proving it true. In my research I feel like I will need to approach both working with guidelines and proving a hypothesis. Although, if I am meant to only do one how will I apply quantitative to a bunch of data?

3 comments:

  1. Caroline--

    I agree that this text seems a little rigid, but I think it's useful for people new to academic writing, or people who are looking for suggestive guidelines. Even a robotic sounding script can be a jumping point for making the writing your own, or whatever cliche you want to use.

    I also think that most qualitative researchers have a hypothesis in mind when they start their work, they just don't state it in the introduction to appear less biased :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you bring up some good questions, Caroline, I think you're a bit off base with your critique of the deficiencies model. When you conduct research, you should be doing so to help add to the academic discussion; if there is "no deficiencies" in previous research, then perhaps you should choose a different topic. The idea behind conducting research, whether it be quantitative or qualitative, is to unearth new information, or provide a different vantage point for an issue or concern. So, essentially, all research should be able to use the deficiencies model, because that model helps justify the reason you conducted the research, as well as helps place your findings within the context of the academic conversation on the specific topic you have chosen.

    ~ Aryeh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caroline. I found the narrative hook to be one of the more fascinating points in the chapter. Lowering people slowly into the well (what a metaphor!) makes sense to me, but I always found that to fit in with something like creative writing rather than research. I'm pretty sure this is due to my being familiar with quantitative research though.

    On the other hand, I think that the deficiences model is beneficial when you are trying to situate your own research, and it shows that you are not only familiar with previous research but are able to provide new insight. If there isn't much research on a topic, isn't that in itself a deficiency? Plus, I would think that even if a study's findings were "legitimate", there are still limitations that need to be addressed for future studies. It might not be seen quite as a "deficiency" in this context, but your research would add to the knowledge base. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete