Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chapters 8 & 9

Chapter 8 discusses quantitative research methods.  It highlighted the importance of addressing the population and sample, instrumentation, the variables in the study, data analysis (how to do it and show it to the reader), interpretations, and threats to validity.  It discussed these things in both the survey method (which I think most of us are most familiar with) and the experiment method.

Chapter 9 discussed qualitative research procedures.  I found the checklist on pg. 174 very helpful.  The chapter identified strategies of inquiry, the researcher's role in qualitative research, data collection and recording procedures, data analysis and interpretation, as well as reliability, validity, and generalizability issues.  I felt one of the most helpful discussions within this chapter was about coding.  I liked the fact that the text outlined a strategy for identifying codes within gathered data and walked the reader through it step by step. It also reminded the reader that it was a method of discovery and did not have to necessarily be set out in advance, although that could be helpful as well.  I also appreciated the information about data recording.  Despite the fact that as researchers doing a qualitative study that we have biases, one of the ways that we can test our reliability as researchers is to separate out our notes: descriptive vs. reflective.    

I found myself more drawn to the qualitative research, but, I've considered using a survey in my research ideas, but, like Faith, I found some of the explanations for organizing and analyzing the data (all that awful statistic stuff) a little intimidating.  Especially, Examples 8.1-8.5.  It just seemed like a bunch of letters and numbers everywhere.  It's moved me away from thinking I might use this tool.  I don't really believe that was the purpose of the chapter, but, I found myself wondering, can surveys be used in a more qualitative sense?  Asking open-ended questions, looking for detailed answers rather than yes or no questions or "Select one of these options".   Obviously going really in depth would be an interview, but trying to get information about the thoughts, feelings, concerns, of a larger sample of people, would that work as a possible survey data gathering tool? I start feeling unsure which side that falls under.

As I read through Chapter 9, I started piecing together my research idea in small chunks; coming up with ideas for one section or another.  It really started to help me funnel down my broader ideas, at least, it started to.  Despite the fact the text is formulaic, I think that it really helps when you consider a research idea and how that idea can fit into the formulas that Cresswell  is setting up.  Not to mention, I think it provides a great handbook for any point where we as researchers might need some guidance on how best to present something.






1 comment:

  1. Megan did I great job of summarizing these chapters up, it was concise and makes a somewhat dry text easier to get through. I also agree that quantitative research really intimidates me. As soon as the thought of statistics is brought up, I kind of want to run the other way. I don't think surveys could be used in a quantitative way though; part of qualitative research is being able to have face-to-face interactions. To use qualitative research we have to "put ourselves in their shoes", I don't feel like that could be accomplished through a survey. But I will admit that combining the two practices for mixed methods does sound interesting, I'm just not sure I could tackle that approach without an extensive amount of time and training on the topic.

    ReplyDelete