Sunday, September 23, 2012

First World Biases


“[q]ualitative research is interpretative research, with the inquirer typically involved in sustained and intensive experience with participants. This introduces a range of strategic, ethical, and personal issues into the qualitative research process. With these concerns in mind, inquirers explicitly identify reflexively their biases, values, and personal background, such as gender, history, culture, and socioeconomic status that may shape their interpretations formed during a study.”(177)

Thank you qualitative research for letting me be honest. I was always annoyed by the idea of trying to keep your biases at bay. Trying to stay objective. Objective is unrealistic. Everyone has biases, always and at all times. I think the most we can do to reach truth is to acknowledge and embrace these biases so that when they change, if they ever do, it will be real. Not only will acknowledging your biases give insight to your readers, but also inside yourself. Qualitative research seems like an opportunity to not only expose and learn about an outside situation, but to recognize the situation in contrast yours. That contrast can be enlightening. I don’t know if you have ever heard of this phrase “first world problems”. I thought I had made it up, when one day something stupid had inconvenienced me, but apparently it’s an internet thing. With websites and hashtags dedicated to it. Anyways the site is basically an outlet for people to complain about silly things that inconvenience them. The inconvenience is an obvious problem, but in a third world country (as opposed to our first world) these things wouldn’t be a problem. In some cases the fact that these inconveniences exist only highlights the luxury that we are living in. (http://www.reddit.com/r/firstworldproblems/). Basically when you acknowledge that your problem IS a first world problem you are admitting and understanding your bias. You understand yourself and situation in contrast to another. Perspective.

Sometimes I get a little too excited to throw my biased up in the air. But when I think of what I see in the news on TV, radio, online, in publications I get irritated that biases are not always admitted, mentioned or considered. But I understand that being all into being biased could be dangerous and close an open mind. I am assuming that when people acknowledge that they’re biased it would be obvious to realize that other versions of biased thinking exist. I was talking with my mom about my blog and as soon as I got all excited and uppity about being into my biases she reminded me that I needed to keep an open mind and not let my biases close it. I think of people who cling to their ideologies without acknowledging or accepting that other exists. I guess that’s what embracing your biases could turn into if there is not a moment while acknowledging your biases, that you acknowledge others. The contrast gives perspective.

 

I am naturally a horrible speller, because I’ve been using spell check since I was 6. #FirstWorldProblems

1 comment:

  1. Your mom sounds like a very smart woman! I, too, like the idea of being allowed to admit to our biases rather than trying to shove them into a closet somewhere and act like they do not exist. I agree with you that including a description of biases in a qualitative research paper not only gives us that freedom to be who we are, but also adds an extra dimension to our writing in a sense that we are not only viewing and addressing a problem, we are doing it through our own subjective lens. I think sometimes deeper observations can be made when the researcher is surprised by cultural differences as seen through his or her biased lens. Bias might spark an interest in a cultural difference that someone who was culturally similar might not see as interesting at all. Or maybe I am just reaching a bit because of my own biases toward bias...

    ReplyDelete