Sunday, September 23, 2012

Creswell response

I, like everyone else here apparently, was initially drawn more to the qualitative chapter than the quantitative. However, there were things in the quantitative chapter that were directly applicable to data I've been compiling for the paper I'm writing to present at IWCA next month. Specifically, I did not anticipate the limitations that would arise when creating the survey. In my paper, I intend to debunk the assumption that media multitasking (whether it be Facebook, e-mail, Reddit, etc.) is harmful to students' writing processes. In my survey, I asked students to select the sites they frequent from a list of popular websites. I wanted to give the students multiple choices for this step, assuming that college students will be reluctant to fill out a short response. With this decision however, I was suddenly faced with the realization that by providing a list of websites, I was limiting the students' answers based on my own assumptions of what are and are not popular websites. Sure, I provided an "other" option, but I'm sure that most students' answers will be limited to the list I provided. I faced another problem when reading over my original list of questions such as "How long does it take you, from the first word you put on the page to the time that you print it off, to complete an average paper assignment?" Even more limitations: what's an average paper assignment, and to whom? A first semester composition paper is going to be drastically different than a fourth year biology lab report. That said, I had to decide on a few delimitations; I narrowed the scope of my study to focus on ENG 1320 students since they will be able to take both their 1310 and 1320 experiences into consideration, and because Texas State's composition program is relatively uniform in terms of the papers the students are expected to write, thus solving the "average assignment" issue somewhat. My study will certainly still have its weakness and limitations, but Creswell helped me to identify the decisions I made and the reasons for them and will certainly be helpful through the rest of my data collection.

1 comment: