Monday, November 12, 2012

Language use and Power


Language Use and Power

Although I enjoy learning about the different methods of critically conscious research, I am finding some parts of this book hard to follow due to the “listing” nature of the book (In some parts, the authors seem to only list the research on a particular subject).  Chapters 4, 5, and 6 are no different

In chapter 4, the authors describe the different aspects of Critical Methodologies.  For example, “Critical Discourse Analysis is a form of discourse analysis that is inspired by the thinking of Derrida, Hebermas, Gramsci, and Marx among others.  Bloome and Carter submit that, historically , the term discourse was used as a verb” (52).  In other words, the methodology in this sense is utilized to form a “discourse community.

In chapters 5 and 6, the authors discuss the varying power structure evident in the varying structures (government, religion, laws, etc); they also present the different research for the power structures in language use.  The most interesting part was the research done by Moje, who posited that gang members didn’t utilize communication to just assimilate to the gang culture, but, instead, they used language to find meaning with their incomplete identities: “Their language use indicates willingness to engage of a gangsta lifestyle and reveals aspects of evolving identities” (92). 

Like always, I will try to take what I read and find meaning with my own work.  During the previous weekend (Marine Corps Birthday and Veterans Day), millions of Veterans grouped together to celebrate service to our country.  With my own experience, I am able to understand the importance of these two days.  This weekend, my battalion had a reunion and memorial service for our fallen; this weekend allowed me to notice the difference of comfort, within myself, when faced with the civilian world and the military world.  Although I have become articulated in both, my confidence is greater in another (the military world).  When understanding that confidence is a key factor with power and language use, I am able to see the importance of creating a more effective assimilation program for our veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment