Monday, November 12, 2012

Critical theories


In chapter 4, the book discussed critical race theory (CRT). This is an interesting concept in itself because it looks at people of color to question and even break away from certain beliefs, knowledge, and ways of looking at things. This is a great tool because it brings to light different perspectives that would otherwise go unnoticed. I like it because it deals with a concept that needs acknowledgement by others, so it does a good job of doing that. However, I wonder how it applies to a different country where people look the same.

México is a good example of what I mean. I can’t say that everyone looks the same over there because there are vast differences, so I’ll base certain claims on the census. The census for the U.S. specifically gives different races: White, African American, Asian, Native American and that’s all I can remember. The government places these races, so people follow them. There are more than two races to compare ourselves to, so it gets complicated when dealing with issues from the U.S. perspective. In México, according to a friend that lived over there for 24 years, there are only two choices in the census for them: indigenous and some other name to say Mexican. Needless to say, the indigenous people are the minority.

With this in mind, I wonder if the race factor is such a pertinent issue within their educational and governmental institutions. Class struggles are definitely prominent as can be heard in numerous songs (“Gimme the Power” by Molotov is my favorite). In other songs, they mention tensions between Mexican people and white people, but they always refer to people in the U.S.  and not within themselves. I resort to songs because I don’t live over there and don’t have a clue as to what students over there study.

Having said that, it prompts me to ask myself if critical race theory, critical theory in general, or any other theory that tries to break away from the dominant culture is ever successful. I feel that even if I look at things a certain way, it is because I learned it from an institution that follows a dominant culture. It’s hard to shake off what’s dominant, marginalized, or true.

No comments:

Post a Comment